Monday, June 8, 2020

You’ve seen some shards…now for some sawdust



Beyond just doing stained glass, my wife has also started quilting. She’s very talented and adept at learning new skills and I figured that there were probably some items that I could make to go along with her quilting.

My Wife's First Quilt  donated for a WV Foster Child.
My Wife's first handmade quilt donated for a WV Foster Child.

I’ve owned a lathe for a number of years.  I bought one of the Harbor Freight specials, but for what I needed, it was fine.  I wanted to own one and carry on what I had learned many years ago in high school…yes, there was a time in our history that schools taught wood shop.  Too bad that class has mostly become extinct.  Anyway…I purchased a lathe and my first real project was making legs for a small desk I made my wife.  After that project, it mostly sat dormant for years and years until we moved to where we live now and I got back into turning.

A hand-turned bowl made from Cherry.

I started back into it by turning small bowls using some blanks I bought on sale at Woodcraft.  I found bowl turning not only enjoyable, but relatively easy with the right “gadgets” to help along the way.  In addition to bowls, I decided to try my hand at making pens and other items that go beyond just bowls.  It turns out there is a plethora of kits you can buy to make not only pens, but salt and pepper shakers and grinders, pizza cutter handles, and yes…the aforementioned quilting items known as seam rippers.
Once my wife began quilting and making friends with the local quilting guild, we were told that some ladies had purchased some handmade seam rippers that they really liked and that if I do woodworking, I should make some to sell to the other ladies.  With my trusty credit card and link to a particular pen and project-making website, I purchased a few kits.


I made two that have a pen-type clip you could clip in your pocket or sewing bag.  These feature a reversible blade that you pull out and flip around when you need it, the flip it back to keep it from poking you.  These first two were single-ended (I have a couple of kits for a double-ended one)
and were made to see what it takes to produce these items.  The kit is well made and fairly easy to assemble using my pen kit press.  There’s not much wood that needs turned and the time it takes is relative to how creative I am at the time.
I had found later that there were kits that are necklaces with a magnet that holds the seam ripper to the necklace. Quite clever!  Once one of my wife’s fellow quilters saw that style, she said that was the one that would be a hit.  So, exercising my credit card prowess, I ordered a kit of six and made them all in a few hours (to my wife’s surprise and delight).  I tried to create a different style for each one (which being handmade, they’re unique in some way already) with three different types of
wood.  I had some pen blanks that I had purchased a couple years ago and they worked out great.  I made two of each species: 2 Purpleheart, 2 Paduk, and 2 Zebrawood. 
I had never worked with any of these species before this project.  They’re easy to turn and really pop when you apply a finish.  These were all finished with a friction polish.  Essentially, the polish is made of a fast evaporating medium with a dissolved shellac.  Applied to a paper towel, the heat from the spinning part melts the shellac, creates a layer of finish, and the rest evaporates away to leave the shellac behind.  I haven’t been able to get it to a high luster however, I feel that for grip, it would probably be better than a smooth or slick finish.  Based on feedback from the quilting group, I may adjust the finish and use what’s called a CA (cyanoacrylate or super glue) finish.  I haven’t had great luck with CA finishes but I think the glue I was using was the culprit.


Overall, we were pleased with the results and the assembly was less tedious than the clip-type ripper.  We feel that the necklace would be more popular anyway because it may be less prone to be misplaced or lost.  They were easy for me to make and allowed me to try different designs and styles which, in a way, is a little difficult with small wood blanks and a shortage of creativity on my part.  There’s only so much I can do with curves and grooves…but hey…they’re handmade and unique either way right?
I have placed some of the seam rippers for sale with free shipping at our Etsy Store, Shards and Sawdust
Stay tuned for another sawdust post in the near future where I show some cutting boards that I’ve made.

No comments:

Post a Comment